Sunday, February 22, 2009

Visual Culture 2, Week 7



Objects:
Guitar
Tree
Roots
Sky
Clouds
Mushrooms
Fish
Egg
Treble clef with wings
Mountains
Records (hanging from the tree).

This image caught my attention because of its musical inclination. I am a Music-Business major, so, of course, a huge guitar is something that catches my eye. I found this also in a search for desktop wallpapers, but I think that this piece could exist on its own as abstract art. The tree reminds me of the one used in the logo for the film Big Fish. To me, the image represents the unearthing of new music and the growth/evolution/journey that is continuous for all types of music. Because of the mountains and earth coming from the guitar, it makes the point that a person who is passionate about music can make music his/her entire world. Once the viewer of this art takes in the enormity of the guitar and the tree, the eye moves upward to the treble clef that has hatched from an egg in the tree and taken flight. While studying this piece, I also noticed the isolation of the image. Despite the giant size of the guitar, it floats in the middle of space with nothing but clouds to surround it, and one small treble clef floats above it all. Nothing else matters but the music and the life that is a result of music.

No comments:

Post a Comment