Friday, February 13, 2009

Visual Culture 1, Week 6



Objects:
City
Man
Title
Searchlights

This week I was looking specifically for vintage movie posters, since our assignment is to create a movie poster. This was the first one that caught my eye. I noticed how the text is not just a title, but also part of the artwork. I was first drawn to the city in the center because of the light issuing from it, then to the title which is made using a unique font, and then to the man carrying the city on his back. The background is very simple, and the use of mainly yellows against the black create a luminous quality. There is light issuing from the city, and also focused on the man's face and torso front. I like how the searchlights from the top of the tallest building lead into a semi-circle that pushes the eye back up to the title. It is a very effective technique.

1 comment:

  1. Very good analysis of how visual hierarchy leads the eye. Also on the text.

    One thing that was interesting about this poster is how I've never seen it, in spite of like Metropolis a lot as a film. I think it's probably been overshadowed by this famous poster for the movie:
    http://www.art.com/gallery/id--a73612/heinz-schulz-neudamm-posters.htm

    Interestingly, though, I think the text in the poster you found is more evocative of modernity.

    ReplyDelete