Sunday, February 22, 2009

Visual Culture 1, Week 7



Objects:
Trees
Bird
Person climbing
Person diving
Person on hill
Bathroom sign people
Color stripes
Sun rays
Cloud shapes
Abstract graphics

Today I was looking at images that are meant to be used as computer backgrounds. I change my computer wallpaper frequently, and it got me to thinking about how the need for a wallpaper on a computer desktop has opened up a window for a new kind of art. This was one of many backgrounds that appealed to me. I was attracted to the color combination of the three stripes (green, red and dark grey) against a fairly neutral background. I noticed that the green stripe creates a hill which appears to have a distant sun behind it, and the sun is issuing rays across the image. Even though this piece is abstract, there is a definite light source. I think the use of trees as silhouettes adds interest to the art, along with the scattered images of people. I was amused to see the figures in the bottom right corner that usually appear on bathroom signs. I don't know why they are there but, once again, it adds interest.

No comments:

Post a Comment