Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Interactivity


A couple classes ago in DMF, we were discussing movie posters, and an example was President Obama's campaign poster (HOPE lithograph). It turns out that there is a website you can go to and make a similar poster using any photo you want. I decided to visit this website and play around a little bit. One of my friends, Gabby, is a redhead and a bit crazy, and she is constantly telling people that they are dumb. So I took an awesome photo of her and uploaded it on the Obamicon site, then used the slogan "You're Dumb" on the bottom. What a highly entertaining interactive site! I posted the final product on Facebook and got numerous comments about it. The interactivity of the site is simple in that all it really does is adjust the colors of a photo to dark blue, sky blue, cream and red to make it look like the Obama posters that we all recognize. Even though anyone can easily use it, I now have other people asking me to use their photos to do the same thing!

2 comments:

  1. I think it's interesting that Shepard Fairey originally did the Obama poster with such a limited palette because he was used to working with silk screening. But it lends itself to interactivity precisely because the choices are simple.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You might also want to have a look at Fairey's own site: http://obeygiant.com/

    Finally, I think it's also interesting that the interactive site (at least the one I know about) was put up by PASTE magazine, which keeps readers up to date about independent music and culture.

    ReplyDelete