Tuesday, January 20, 2009

A New, Not So Fun, Place

Last week I got to go to see a new doctor for the first time. It was not for anything serious, but I am graduating next year and I thought it might be good to start seeing a regular doctor in town since the school heath center will no longer be available to me. My first time going to the doctor's office was rather nerve-racking. There is no reason it should have been, I think it is just part of going to the doctor. Once again, I found that being in a new place greatly increases my awareness of surroundings. I also think that when one is at the doctor, one tries to avoid looking at the other people there because it somehow seems rude or nosy. As a result, one struggles to look anywhere around the room except at the other people. I noticed the typical use of green walls (green is supposed to be calming) and the very clean carpet. I also took note of the fake plants and the variety of magazines strewn across the end-tables. Basically a typical medical waiting room. There was also a kind of nervous energy circulating through the area, which is something interesting about being in a place that you do not want to be and knowing that no one else (except the doctors) really want to be there either. The office itself was not aesthetically unpleasant, but, all in all, I was not unhappy to leave.

3 comments:

  1. It's really weird how we take the usual 'American isolationism' or self-centered-ness to an extreme in un-comfortable places. The DMV is similar, even without the nosey-ness feeling of the doctor's office. Maybe we have trouble because being there means we're admitting we need help (maybe that's just my macho guy reaction).

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice post. I can definitely relate. Something about waiting makes us very self-conscious too. Vulnerable, almost. Could be something interesting to pick up on i/r/t interactivity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think maybe humans, being social animals, give off some pheromone when they're anxious, and the the rest of us pick up on it. Then we start giving off the pheromone, and the whole thing snowballs.

    I know that during finals week, whenever I'm on campus I can feel the tension. Deep in my brain, some part of me wants to flee for the trees.

    I agree with Miles. What factors would make an interactive experience UNpleasant? It could be a clue as to how to create the opposite, pleasant experience.

    ReplyDelete