Sunday, March 8, 2009

Whoops! Forgot To Do Visual Culture, Week 9. So, Here It Is!



Objects:
Eiffel Tower
Trees
Path
Governess
12 Little Girls
Sky
Title

This week we discussed our final project, which is to create a book. Some of the examples we looked at were children's book illustrations, which got me to thinking about some of the books I loved as a kid. This picture is the famous cover illustration from Madeline. It has a style all its own. I love the lines and how they look like sketches rather than perfectly drawn images. I think the style appeals more to children. It reminds me of some of the drawings are created in Interactivity because it looks like it was done quickly, but it is fun and colorful. The picture looks like it would be a great beginning for an animation, which is probably why the Madeline TV series was created. I also like that even though Madeline is small and not in the center of the picture, your eye is drawn to her.



Objects:
Mouse
Bear
Owl
Hedgehog
Rabbit
Badger
Fox
Mole
Mitten
Snow
Title
Wood Border

This is another illustration that I remember very clearly from my childhood. The story of The Mitten is very simple, and I think that most of the book's appeal is in the pictures. The author uses a style that makes it appear as if everything is painted on wood. All the illustrations for her books have the same rustic, wintry feel. Unlike the Madeline pictures, these are very detailed and carefully done. I think that, thought they are very different, both styles fit the respective stories that they accompany. Jan Brett is also very good at using her abilities to draw the reader's eye to the central theme of the story, which is the mitten. It is placed at the center of the photo, and all the animals are looking at it, so the reader's natural instinct is to look at it too. Even without the title, you can get an idea of what the book is about.

No comments:

Post a Comment